Monday, February 1, 2010

Journal #1 Typography II

Toolbox

As a designer, I am constantly trying to figure out solution to problems that arise in my life and through my work. Everyday problems like, how much food do I need to feed fifteen people?, I think, can be figured out in a creative way.

While I read this toolbox reading, I found myself relating to some of the ways you can come up with solution for problems. I do use a lot of word lists or "To-Do" lists. It keeps me organized and I feel more productive when I know I have done everything that I know I could have done. I also use concept maps to help organize in some situations. These maps are more for design problems. When I was younger in high school, I remember "free writing" for fifteen or twenty minutes and I remember that relaxed me a lot. I have never used a free write exercise in solving a design problem.

A lot of these techniques can be used to help solve design problems because they open up parts of your mind that normally would not have been accessed. The more words you have, the more ideas you can come up with. More creative ideas. You might think your first few ideas are awesome ideas, but generally those ideas have been thought of many times before and have been used in many other designs. You think you have a good idea, but it is already old to the rest of the world.

I feel like I could do more free writing or concept mapping more in my design process because I have found that a lot of good ideas come from it. Like Leonardo da Vinci, I should also start the habit of carrying around a journal. I like journaling but I feel what I write is repetitive and boring. But I guess if I continue to work at it, the journal will get past dry ideas and more creative and new ideas will come to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment