Friday, February 12, 2010

Journal #3 -- Twenty Rules

Pull Twenty Rules pdf off the school server. Summerize, reflect...Which 3 do you think are the most important? What 3 do you think you need to practice more? Which 3 do you want to ignore?

Summary:
1. Have a concept-empty although beautiful
2. Communicate, don't decorate- support concept
3. Speak with one visual voice- parts talk to each other
4. Two typefaces families max define purposes for
5. Use the one-two punch! focus viewer's attention and then move it
6. Pick colors on purpose- carries feelings
7. If you can, do it with less then do it. less is more
8. Negative space is magical, create it- calls attention to content
9. Treat type as image, important, needs to relate composition
10. Type is only type when friendly, legible
11. Be universal- not about you, design for all
12. Squish and separate- contrasts in density and rhythm
13. Distribute light/dark life firecrackers- photo wide range of tonal value
14. Be decisive, purposeful, strategy
15. Measure with eyes, visual may not look the way you think
16. Create images don't scavenge, make what you need
17. Ignore fashion, design around movement
18. Move it! Static = dull
19. Look to history but don't repeat
20. Symmetry = ultimate evil.

The three most important are utilizing negative space, do it with less, and have a concept. I am a simple person. I really like simplicity and using negative space in designs. Sometimes I do feel, because I like simple, that my designs are lacking something more. To be honest, I am surprised at some of the grades I received in typography last semester because I thought my layouts were simple and clean. I guess that means that simple is usually better.

Three I need to practice more is certainly finding my own photographs. I scavenge a lot. I also need to work on steering clear of symmetry. I am okay with symmetry but I guess I would shun it. And I also probably need to work on movement and three-dimensionality.

Three I want to ignore is the symmetry one, ignoring fashion because the fashionable thing could be the easier way to go in a design, and not repeating history. I agree with that, but I do think you can still pull a lot of good stuff from the past and make it your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment