Saturday, March 6, 2010

Beginning Process of Typography Timeline Project

At the beginning of this project, I immediately knew I wanted to design a timeline for the History of Flight. I have always wanted to learn how to fly and my boyfriend does fly, so planes have always been a part of my life. I connected with the History of Flight and with the help of my peers I started a list of items flight related that could demonstrate a timeline.

Word List:
airport graphic
early 1900s theme
purpose, i.e. war
basic structure
mechanical
drafting
technical
flight simulator
altitude
distance traveled
horizon line
dashboard
lift, drag
path, trajectory
runway
wings
cloud
birds (things that fly)
circle, engine
propeller
safety cards
rows of seats
how planes look over the years/morph
insects
wind patterns
man floating
Wright Brothers
captain hat
wings
log for flight
map
radar
connection lines
airport layout
cropped/window
aerial view, patterns
peanut, pretzel bags
lights aisle/ pathways
side of jets/windows
dandelions
arrows
focused on the people that flew
paper airplane
3-D makes itself into a paper airplane
Kite ribbon
layer drafting

Some of the questions that I thought about is, how to show time through flight. Could the time be linear? Could it be more info-graphic? Time vs Distance? I knew that because this was a Typographic project, I needed to steer clear of a more info-graphic approach. Some of the words in the word list would deal primarily with images more than type so I tried to steer clear of that.
The major ideas that I wanted to focus more on is the idea of using drafting to demonstrate the history of flight. I also liked the idea of using distance with a paper airplane idea. I also liked the idea of using altitude or using distance traveled up to measure a timeline. I also liked the idea of using wind patterns and arrows to show direction of the timeline. Some of the photo graphs I looked at for ideas are as followed:







No comments:

Post a Comment