Saturday, March 6, 2010

Journal #6 What inspires Designers?

I wanted to look at mostly women designers and what they said that was inspiring to them. I watched Ellen Lupton, Jennifer Morla, Monica Nassif, Paula Scher. I also noticed that Chip Kidd was one of the designers asked so I watched him also. I was expecting them to talk about a specific graphic design that inspired them, but one woman talked about how Madison Square Garden was her inspiration. Another woman talked about how a spoon was her inspiration. Chip Kidd was a little more off topic but got around to saying that much inspires him everyday. And I think all of the designers that I looked at were right. Graphic design is not the only thing that inspires more graphic design. I look at things, patterns, people, places everyday and that should or does inspire design as much as past design work. I feel like I need to look at the world more and not just as graphic design for more inspiration. There is only a limited amount with what you can do with already design items.

If I was to answer those two questions, I would say that journals, books inspire me. I love book designing, I love words I love typography and how one can use typography for design. I love journals, I love how personal they can get, and I think graphic design should have that personal feeling in it. When you look at a good design you should be able to get a taste of who the designer is. I think people need personal things in order to relate and to understand them. Very famous designers like Milton Glaser gives his posters that personal/relatable touch that people understand and feel also. His "I LOVE NY" poster does that.

What design should solve next is that disconnection that people have to the needs and wants of the world. A man in the United States is not affected by the Earthquake in Haiti so he has no drive to help out. If we build connections and make the world personal to all, I think we will understand and help out more. I truly think the world will be a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment